Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 9 to 11 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 3-1/2 pounds leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute leeks in drippings until tender; stir in the bacon. Stir in flour until blended; set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Transfer to an ungreased 10-in. springform pan. Spoon leek mixture into crust. Trim pastry to 1/4 in. above filling; press pastry against sides of pan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over leek mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 352 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 16, 2011
I was scared in making this, but it turned out fantastic. It wasn't soggy as I feared and I was able to use up some leeks from the garden! (I later cheated and used a premade pie shell..still good!)