- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press half of the mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spread with preserves. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture; gently press down.
- Bake at 350° for 38-42 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 bars.
Reviews forOatmeal Apricot Squares
"I doesn't get any easier then this. 123 its done and ready to bake. Its tasty, slightly chewy and it can be downsized with no problem at all. Its just Hubby and myself so easy halved recipes like this work well for us. I stepped it up just a bit by adding some chopped pecans, coconut and cinnamon to the topping. I used more of the mixture on the bottom crust then went light with the topping. I got a total of 6 medium sized squares. Just enough to cover our weekend treats. I will make this one again and will switch out the jams. Raspberry or Blackberry will be next.Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor.You will enjoy this one!"
"This was very good. I made some changes. I decreased the sugar to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup applesauce (natural unsweetened). I decreased the butter to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup coconut oil. I also used a very thin layer of the jam and it was enough. You don't really need a lot."
"I had to use almost a whole jar of apricot preserves. 3/4 cup was not enough to cover the 8 x 8 pan. It wasn't very tasty."