Chocolate Oat Squares
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, 1 teaspoon salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press two-thirds of oat mixture into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts and remaining vanilla. Spread over the crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 28, 2015
These were good! I made them without nuts to keep a boy happy, but I think I would have liked them more WITH nuts. I'll do an adult version with nuts sometime.
Feb 6, 2015
Oatmeal in any form is comfort food to me. Being in a dessert makes it all the better. These bars are so good. The oatmeal layers are chewy. The chocolate filling in the middle is yummy. I made 1/2 of a batch and they turned out great.
May 31, 2014
These are wonderful! Made exactly as posted--wouldn't change a thing. Thanks so much for sharing.
Sep 4, 2013
Very tasty. Shared with a large group and they loved them.
May 29, 2013
These are an awesome little treat. When I got the crust in the pan I didn't have enough to completly cover the chocolate layer so I dropped dollops over the chocolate. Turned out great.
Jan 8, 2013
These squares are excellent! I have baked them many times and receive compliments each time I take them somewhere. They travel well and freeze well. They are quite dense and can be cut in small squares to serve many. The only change I have made is that I sometimes use pecans in place of walnuts as they are a favorite of mine.
Apr 27, 2011
I've made these over and over again. My family and friends love these. Thanks for the recipe.
Dec 19, 2010
sorry, I forgot to add my rating :-)
Dec 19, 2010
My kids have loved this recipie since I first made it many years ago. They request that I make these bars every year at Christmas. I love them too. At my home we leave out the Walnuts because when I first made this recipie probably 7 or 8 years ago I wasn't sure if my kids would like the nuts in. So we have never had them with the nuts.
Nov 5, 2009
I have made these squares many times and everyones loves them. They are easy and delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.