Chocolate Oat Squares
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, 1 teaspoon salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press two-thirds of oat mixture into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts and remaining vanilla. Spread over the crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 3, 2019
Really good! Easy to make and delicious.
Apr 28, 2015
These were good! I made them without nuts to keep a boy happy, but I think I would have liked them more WITH nuts. I'll do an adult version with nuts sometime.
Feb 6, 2015
Oatmeal in any form is comfort food to me. Being in a dessert makes it all the better. These bars are so good. The oatmeal layers are chewy. The chocolate filling in the middle is yummy. I made 1/2 of a batch and they turned out great.
May 31, 2014
These are wonderful! Made exactly as posted--wouldn't change a thing. Thanks so much for sharing.
Sep 4, 2013
Very tasty. Shared with a large group and they loved them.
May 29, 2013
These are an awesome little treat. When I got the crust in the pan I didn't have enough to completly cover the chocolate layer so I dropped dollops over the chocolate. Turned out great.
Jan 8, 2013
These squares are excellent! I have baked them many times and receive compliments each time I take them somewhere. They travel well and freeze well. They are quite dense and can be cut in small squares to serve many. The only change I have made is that I sometimes use pecans in place of walnuts as they are a favorite of mine.
Apr 27, 2011
I've made these over and over again. My family and friends love these. Thanks for the recipe.
Dec 19, 2010
sorry, I forgot to add my rating :-)
Dec 19, 2010
My kids have loved this recipie since I first made it many years ago. They request that I make these bars every year at Christmas. I love them too. At my home we leave out the Walnuts because when I first made this recipie probably 7 or 8 years ago I wasn't sure if my kids would like the nuts in. So we have never had them with the nuts.