Apricot Date Squares
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup 100% apricot spreadable fruit or jam
- 1-3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar and dates. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1-1/3 cups and is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in spreadable fruit until blended; set aside. In a food processor, combine the oats, flour, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add butter; cover and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press 3 cups crumb mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread date mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; press down gently.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 147 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 10, 2014
One of my favorite desserts.
Sep 4, 2011
My kids absolutely loved these!
Mar 2, 2010
These were delicious, expecially hot from the oven. I substituted chopped dried apricots for the dates since my husband doesn't like dates and what a hit!