Apricot Date Squares
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup 100% apricot spreadable fruit or jam
- 1-3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar and dates. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1-1/3 cups and is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in spreadable fruit until blended; set aside. In a food processor, combine the oats, flour, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add butter; cover and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press 3 cups crumb mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread date mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; press down gently.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 147 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 10, 2014
One of my favorite desserts.
Sep 4, 2011
My kids absolutely loved these!
Mar 2, 2010
These were delicious, expecially hot from the oven. I substituted chopped dried apricots for the dates since my husband doesn't like dates and what a hit!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.