Chocolate Date Squares
"My mother-in-law used to send these moist bars to my husband when he was in the Army," relates field editor Pat Walter of Pine Island, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a small bowl, combine dates and water; set aside to cool (do not drain). In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually added to creamed mixture. Stir in dates.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 223 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Date Squares in Taste of Home February/March 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.