Brown Sugar Date Squares
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 pound pitted whole dates
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates, brown sugar and orange juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened and dates are tender, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread with date mixture.
- Stir walnuts into remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle over filling; press down gently. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 251 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 1, 2017
i double the date filling for this size pan or use a smaller pan. And leave out the walnuts at familys requestgreat recipe freezes really well and can be cut up frozen as needed
Mar 5, 2012
I made a half recipe this afternoon for my husband's birthday.It is delicious! The filling is smooth - exactly how date square filling is supposed to be!Also, this was so simple to make and used few dishes!When I make it next, I think I'll reduce the vanilla in the filling (since this is a bit strong, for my taste), and the cinnamon in the crust.Although, my husband did say it tasted like apple pie and date square together ... in his words, "the best birthday cake ever!"
Jan 21, 2012
VERY VERY GOOD
Jun 19, 2010
Feb 28, 2009
these are so good, since our kids are gone I cut the recipe in half and bake in a 9 in square pan. If you put dollops of the date mixture on the bottom layer,its easier to spread.I also grease the back of a spoon to help spread it.
Sep 16, 2008
These are very good !! I don't usually like dates but my husband does so thought I would try these.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.