Date Oatmeal Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place dates, water and sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir in melted butter and egg white. Press half of the mixture into an 8-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread carefully with date mixture; top with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake until lightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 182 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat.
Dec 12, 2018
We love old fashioned date cookies, but those pinwheels are so time consuming, I just never make them. These give the old fashioned taste, with a lot less work! So happy to have found this recipe!
Feb 21, 2018
Have made these twice and really enjoy them. First time we used unsweetened cooked dates and 3/4 cup brown sugar. And just recently with homemade sweetened applesauce for the filling and the full cup of sugar. Both times we used a whole egg and some walnuts. Quite a versatile recipe!
Feb 15, 2016
Really good!! :-) I also added chopped nuts to the recipe and it added a great flavor to the recipe. Will definitely make this again!
Mar 26, 2015
This is the first date dessert I've made and I'm convinced it won't be our last! I listened to the other reviews and added toasted walnuts to the top oatmeal crumbs for a crunch. Husband had two big bars before they even cooled. I will be making again, although may add raspberries or chopped apricots next time. Yum!
Feb 27, 2013
cooked too long and next time add whole egg and less flour
May 28, 2012
Whole family loved!
Feb 15, 2012
these bars are so delicious I could eat the whole pan myself
Nov 8, 2011
I don't purchase deserts, I make everything from scratch.Most of my recipes comes from Taste of Home on line cooking. I purchased a box of dates a few months back and didn't have a recipe to use them in untill I came across this recipe. The only thing I did different was add a 1/2 cup of coconut and some medium chopped walnuts to the brown sugar mixture. The Bars came out delicious. I will be keeping this recipe.
Sep 9, 2010
We loved the texture and that fact it wasn't overly sweet. Next time I would add 1/4 c. of toasted pecans or walnuts to give it a little more crunch.
Sep 8, 2010
I prepared this recipe using Smart Balance, making them even healthier My husband & I both loved them! Easy & fast to prepare & delicious.