Caramel-Chocolate Oat Squares
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 caramels
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat butter, uncovered, on high for 20-30 seconds or until softened. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir into butter until blended.
- Set a third of the mixture aside for topping. Press remaining mixture onto the bottom of an 8-in. square microwave-safe dish. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until crust is raised and set (crust will be uneven), rotating a half turn after each minute.
- In a 1-qt. microwave-safe dish, heat the caramels and milk, uncovered, on high for 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every minute. Sprinkle chips and nuts if desired over crust. Pour caramel mixture over all.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press down lightly. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until the caramel is bubbly, rotating a quarter turn every minute. Cool before cutting.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 284 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 9, 2012
Love to make this in the summer.
Dec 19, 2011
I love taking this to small gatherings! They're always gone!
Oct 20, 2010
its a family favorite. every year people keep asking for it and the recipe. definitely worth trying.
Mar 21, 2010
One is good, but no need to go back for seconds.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.