My family loves cranberries but we can only get them fresh during the holiday season. This recipe lets us enjoy the tartness of cranberry with the comfort of oatmeal all-year long. —Teena Petrus, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in oats. Cook 1 minute over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in sugar and vanilla. Top servings with cinnamon-sugar, cranberry sauce and walnuts.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 293 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Oatmeal in Country Woman October/November 2013