No-Knead Honey Oatmeal Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 packages (1/2 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup water to boiling. Stir in the oats, butter, honey and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally. Heat remaining water to 110°-115°.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, oat mixture and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Spread batter evenly into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Smooth tops of loaves. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35-40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with melted butter if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 132 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Dec 7, 2013
love this bread it is great i used the 2 packets 1/4 oz and it turned out great to me. I also substituted the butter for 8 tsp of applesauce to keep a healthy theme going and it turned out great. i will be making this instead of buying store bought bread
Feb 10, 2012
I used 4.5 tsp of yeast (2.25 tsp. in each yeast pkg). and I think it is the correct amount.
Feb 10, 2012
VERY good bread!! and could not be easier to make. It turned out soft, buttery and sweet ... perfect!
Apr 18, 2009
Did it turn out OK with the 2 packets of yeast?
Feb 11, 2009
Can't help but wonder if the quantity of yeast is correct 2 package 1/2 ounce each, should it be 1/4 ounce each?! Will follow up to advise if bread turned out right (I used a total of 5 tsp of yeast)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.