No-Fry Fried Ice Cream
This ice cream has a crispy cinnamon coating just like the fried ice cream served at Mexican restaurants, but minus the oily mess. Make ahead of time and freeze until serving. —Tim White, Windsor, ON
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing Bake: 5 min. + freezing
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- Whipped cream and caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a 1/2-cup ice cream scoop, place 8 scoops of ice cream on a baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Stir in cornflakes. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Cool completely.
- Roll ice cream balls in crumb mixture. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 216 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as No Fry Fried Ice Cream in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2019