Mexican Fried Ice Cream
"Fried ice cream is one of my favorite desserts to order from Mexican restaurants," says Mandy Wright of Springville, Utah. "When my sister and I found this recipe for preparing it at home, we knew it would be an impressive way to end a meal."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing Cook: 5 min.
- 1/2 gallon French vanilla ice cream, softened
- 3 cups crushed cornflakes
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Honey and whipped topping, optional
- Place nine 3-in. scoops of ice cream on a baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a shallow bowl, combine cornflake crumbs and cinnamon. Roll ice cream balls in crumb mixture. Place on baking sheet; freeze overnight. Wrap each scoop separately in plastic wrap; transfer to a freezer bag. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Unwrap ice cream; fry one scoop at a time for 8-10 seconds. Place in chilled bowls; serve immediately. Top with honey and whipped topping if desired.
Originally published as Mexican Fried Ice Cream in Quick Cooking July/August 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.