Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 bottle (750 ml) fruity red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Optional garnishes: orange slices, star anise and additional cinnamon sticks
- In a large saucepan, combine first six ingredients. Place remaining spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Place in pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, 20 minutes. Transfer to a covered container cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Strain wine mixture into a large saucepan, discarding fruit and spice bag; reheat. Serve warm. Garnish as desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 379 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 12, 2017
Delish! I tasted it before the overnight and it was bitter. All day I researched what I could do to fix it. Came home tonight and heated up a cup and was soooo good. I followed the recipe with exception of adding an apple, grnd mace & grnd pepper. Really good.
Nov 26, 2017
If you have cheesecloth for the spices you are good to go. Well liked by all and can be stored in the refrigerator.
Dec 23, 2011
Made this for New Year's Eve last year and it was a huge hit. Making it again for Christmas Eve tomorrow. Be careful though, it's strong stuff!
Nov 9, 2011
Love this recipe. It was a huge hit at my house. My husband asks me to make it all the time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.