Hot Spiced Wine
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 bottles (750 milliliters each) dry red wine
- Place cinnamon sticks and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Place in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 4-5 hours. Discard spice bag. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 231 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Jan 3, 2016
Delicious! I took the advice of the previous reviewer and used Apothic Red Wine. I also cut the recipe in half, since it would only be me and my husband drinking it. The first sip was a little tart, but after that it only got better. Because my slow cooker cookes hotter than most, I only put it on low for 3 hours, then turned it to warm.
Dec 20, 2014
Oh my goodness! This is an amazing recipe! I used Apothic Red Wine which is a blend of red wines. I bought it at Target. I also added a teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and allspice. I placed them in a coffee filter bag, so none of the spices would escape! Delicious! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.