Finnish Mulled Wine
I found this recipe stuck in the pages of my Finnish grandmother's Bible. It takes 24 hours to make. Store tightly bottled in the fridge for up to two weeks. —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup vodka
- 2/3 cup port wine
- 15 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 2 orange zest strips (1 to 3 inches)
- 1 orange slice
- 1 lemon zest strip (1 to 3 inches)
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pods
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Blanched almonds and raisins, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first ten ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Transfer to a large saucepan; stir in red wine and brown sugar. Bring just to a simmer (do not boil). Reduce heat; simmer gently, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 30 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. Strain.
- Serve warm over blanched almond and raisins, if desired.