Red Wine and Chocolate Cupcakes
Red wine and chocolate make an amazing pairing, especially in these rich, elegant cupcakes made for my mother’s birthday. She adores them! —Candace Cheney, Fort McMurray, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- MASCARPONE ICING:
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place cocoa and chocolate in a small bowl; whisk in boiling water until chocolate is melted and mixture is blended.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with wine and chocolate mixture beating well after each addition. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 318 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Icing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.