Red Wine and Chocolate Cupcakes
Red wine and chocolate make an amazing pairing, especially in these rich, elegant cupcakes made for my mother’s birthday. She adores them! —Candace Cheney, Fort McMurray, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- MASCARPONE ICING:
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place cocoa and chocolate in a small bowl; whisk in boiling water until chocolate is melted and mixture is blended.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with wine and chocolate mixture beating well after each addition. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator.