Pink Velvet Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pink paste food coloring
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 2 cups white baking chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pink coarse sugar and sugar pearls
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and food coloring until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place white chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Stir in butter. Transfer to a large bowl. Chill for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes or until soft peaks form and frosting is light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes. Roll edges of cupcakes with coarse sugar; decorate with sugar pearls. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteEdible glitter is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 266 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 5, 2016
I've made these at least a dozen times. The flavor is mild, (I do add vanilla bean paste), the texture is fluffy.... BUT they always fall flat after removing from oven. I've tried making hi-altitude adjustments (for 4300 ft) and still they fall. They're just a good cupcake I hate to give up the recipe. ANY suggestions? Thx.
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks to other reviews I added a tablespoonful of vanilla extract and to add extra flavour I lessened sugar by two table spoon and added stawberry flavoured jello....result was most flavourful :)...didn't find these to be dry atall...they were soft n not so sweet with just a hint of stawberry flavour! Mine baked exactly at 25mins and I decorated them with white chocolate buttercream and pink sugar pearls....fabulous looking cupcakes in pink wrappers !!
Jan 8, 2015
I love these cupcakes
Feb 14, 2014
They tasted ok but I thought they were a little bland. Next time I'll try adding some almond extract for a little extra flavor. Also the tops of the cupcakes were, for lack of a better description, crusty as if they were overbaked. Otherwise the cake was moist. My kids liked them.
Feb 4, 2014
These are not red velvet cupcakes, they are pink velvet...
Feb 2, 2014
These look delicious but I always thought red velvet cupcakes/cake had cream cheese icing. I wonder if that would be good...
Apr 13, 2013
These cupcakes are delicious. When it came to the icing I could not figure out what I did wrong. I ended up making a butter cream icing instead. With the pearls and sugar they were great.
Mar 29, 2013
Oh. My. Word. These are AMAZING. I made these for my daughter's fifth birthday because she wanted pink cupcakes to serve at her princess tea party. One problem I have with homemade cakes or cupcakes is that they are always so very, very dense, but she insisted on pink and I decided to try these. I did sift the flour for this recipe and they were much lighter than I expected. After reading reviews about how flavorless they were I did increase the vanilla to a full tablespoon and they were delicious without the frosting. For the frosting I used Baker's White Chocolate instead of white chips because they are notorious for poor melting (this is a result of the lack of cocoa butter) and it was hands down the best frosting I have ever made. I will be making these cupcakes again!
Mar 13, 2013
The texture of the cupcakes was very good, but not much flavor. The next time I make them, I am going to add something to make them taste as pretty as the color.
Mar 7, 2013
They turned out great, even my husband liked them and he is not much of a sweets eater. Took them to work and everyone loved them.