Heavenly Surprise Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the milk, water and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or resealable plastic bag; insert a small star tip. Fill bag with frosting. Push tip 1 in. into center of cupcake and fill with frosting just until top of cake begins to crack. Pipe frosting over the tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 415 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2012
I love these! So good, reminds me of Ho-ho's, but better! The first time I did the frosting, it didn't turn out because I added too much evaporated milk. The second time it was perfection!
Jul 14, 2008
The frosting recipe is similar to the one I've made for years. I do not put in the powdered sugar. If you beat the mixture without the additional sugar it will smooth out and be a rich and creamy frosting. It looks like curdled milk at first then smooths out.