This is a classic warmer-upper that you can serve on chilly winter days. Pass the brandy separately for those who want it.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes13 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 quarts apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups brandy, optional
- Place the cinnamon stick, cloves, allspice and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple cider, juices, orange zest, brown sugar, salt and spice bag. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer mixture for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Discard spice bag. Strain cider mixture and stir in brandy if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 122 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Mulled Cider with Winter Spices in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.