Mojito-Style Yellow Tomato Salsa
With grilled tomatoes, crunchy peppers and a sprinkle of mint, this fresh salsa is good on just about everything. Try it in fish tacos, on tortilla chips or by the spoonful! —Patterson Watkins, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds large yellow tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 medium limes
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped Cubanelle or banana peppers
- Grill tomatoes, uncovered, on an oiled rack over high heat (or broil 3-4 in. from the heat) until skin is slightly charred, 3-4 minutes on each side. Cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, combine oil, garlic, shallot and 1/4 teaspoon salt. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, finely chop; stir in garlic mixture until well combined.
- Finely grate peel of each lime; set aside. Peel and discard white membranes; section limes. In a food processor, pulse lime sections, sugar, mint and remaining salt until finely chopped. Combine with tomatoes; add peppers and lime peel. Mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Serve with chips or grilled meats.