Microwaved Italian Eggplant
If you're trying to cut back on meat, you'll appreciate this main dish from Joan Donahue of Bensalem, Pennsylvania. The microwave makes it fast to fix these crumb-topped eggplant slices.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 small eggplant, peeled
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut eggplant into 3/4-in. slices. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and oregano. Brush one side of each eggplant slice with mayonnaise. Dip mayonnaise side into crumb mixture; place crumb side up in a shallow 2-qt. microwave-safe dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drizzle with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with cheeses. Cook, uncovered, 1 minute longer or until sauce is heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 234 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Microwaved Italian Eggplant in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.