Grilled Eggplant Panini with Basil Aioli
I love being able to use the bounty of fresh vegetables and herbs from my garden for summer meals. This sandwich is loaded with veggies and has such a satisfying crunch. The melty provolone finishes things off perfectly. —Joseph A. Sciascia, San Mateo, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 8 slices
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- For aioli, place the first eight ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Brush vegetables with oil. Place in broiling pan and broil 3-4 inches from heat, or grill, covered, over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes per side. Chop the peppers when cool enough to handle.
- Spread cut sides of each roll with 2 tablespoons aioli; top each with cheese. Layer bottoms with eggplant and peppers. Replace tops.
- In a panini press, grill sandwiches until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Serve remaining aioli with sandwiches or save for another use.
Test Kitchen tips