Grilled Eggplant Panini with Basil Aioli
I love being able to use the bounty of fresh vegetables and herbs from my garden for summer meals. This sandwich is loaded with veggies and has such a satisfying crunch. The melty provolone finishes things off perfectly. —Joseph A. Sciascia, San Mateo, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 8 slices
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- For aioli, place the first eight ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Brush vegetables with oil. Place in broiling pan and broil 3-4 inches from heat, or grill, covered, over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes per side. Chop the peppers when cool enough to handle.
- Spread cut sides of each roll with 2 tablespoons aioli; top each with cheese. Layer bottoms with eggplant and peppers. Replace tops.
- In a panini press, grill sandwiches until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Serve remaining aioli with sandwiches or save for another use.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 panini: 732 calories, 38g fat (11g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1116mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 9g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Eggplant, Pepper Panini with Basil Parmesan Aioli in Simple & Delicious June/July 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.