Smothered Chicken Italiano
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the oregano, garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; rub over chicken. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine ricotta cheese and remaining salt and pepper; spoon over chicken. Top with tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Top with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or a thermometer reads 170°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 14, 2013
Very good, yet simple to make. I'm making this again this evening.
Oct 10, 2012
It was awesome I tweeked it a little with extra seasoning's My whole family loved it!
Mar 9, 2011
Cooked exactly the way the recipe called for it. Chicken was tough and the flavor was bland. I think it would have tasted better if I would have used the italian seasoned tomatoes. My family was not crazy about this and neither was I.
Jul 15, 2010
The recipe was great. I like being able to just follow the recipe and have an excellent end result.
Dec 6, 2008
i make this dish quite often but i substitute the tomatoes with spaghetti sauce. Also instead of buying all the different cheeses separately I buy a shredded Italian Cheese blend. Its much quicker and quite tasty!
Aug 4, 2008
We loved it! I served it over angel hair pasta tossed with parmesan cheese.
Apr 21, 2008
This was a hit all-around. My husband, my 4-year old and I all loved it!