Smothered Teriyaki Chicken Breasts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 slices Muenster or Swiss cheese
- Saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet until tender. Stir in the teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and ginger; heat through. Remove and keep warm.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Cook chicken in remaining oil in the same skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Top with mushroom mixture and cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool chicken and mushroom sauce. Place in freezer containers and top with mushroom sauce. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Slowly heat chicken through in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Top with cheese and proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 373 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Dec 10, 2017
We thoroughly enjoyed this dish, and I also appreciate the ease with which it is prepared. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Apr 14, 2017
This was fantastic. Will certainly make again and again. Did add sweet red peppers to the mix.
Dec 24, 2014
Oh my gosh, is this good. And so pretty! I had to take a picture of it and send it to my sister.....a new favorite!
Feb 7, 2014
This was really good. made exactly as written. Served with some steamed brocolli and spinach salad. Even our two little boys ate it, minus the mushrooms
Feb 4, 2014
This was very flavorful and the chicken was nice and juicy! This is a keeper.
Jan 11, 2014
Sep 23, 2013
This was pretty good... We don't like mushrooms so I didn't use them and doubled up on the onions instead. Like another reviewer said, it was a little on the sweet side so I might cut back or leave out the sugar next time. Thought the cheese would be odd paired with Asian food but I used it and ended up liking it. Overall the family enjoyed it and the house smelled wonderful while it was cooking.
Sep 16, 2013
I have made this twice so far. It is quick, easy and really good. Great flavor and everyone likes it. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
Aug 29, 2013
I did not care for this recipe. It is a little too sweet for me. Also the sauce is very thin and runs off the chicken. It would be better if it was thicker.
Aug 28, 2013
I had company and served this easy, simple recipe .... delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.