Smothered Chicken Breasts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until a thermometer reads 165°, 6-8 minutes per side. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion with brown sugar over medium heat until tender and golden brown. Top chicken with bacon, onion mixture and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 560 calories, 34g fat (12g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 45g protein.
Jul 1, 2019
This is an excellent dish with good flavor. I anticipated this as taking a lot of time, however, with all components being cooked in the same pan. Once I got the chicken to about 120°, I transfered the breasts to a oven safe glass baking dish to finish. That allowed me to time getting the chicken to temp and for it to rest while the bacon and then the onion/brown sugar components were completed. Timing is everything in cooking and this allowed it all to come together nicely.
Apr 5, 2019
Wife and I enjoyed the dish. Good mix of sweet and savory, crispy and tender. Changes I made to the recipe include frying chicken in bacon grease prior to sauteing onions in bacon grease. Also used Beasley's Smokehouse Rub Poultry Powder, https://www.BeasleysSmokehouseRub.com/shop, to season the chicken.
Mar 31, 2019
My husband and I absolutely loved this. I am not a big fan of boneless Chicken Breasts but they were on sale. What a big delicious surprise this dish was, thank you so much Brenda for sharing it!!
Mar 15, 2019
Good. It is "topped" not "smothered"
Mar 15, 2019
Cannot bring up recipe
Mar 15, 2019
I make this recipe all the time. I substitute bacon with turkey bacon.
Jan 16, 2019
So good. My family loved it.
Dec 12, 2018
Very popular dish!
Mar 21, 2018
What a fabulous meal! I used a smidge of Smart Balance/Amish butter instead of Canola over chicken thighs. I didn't have Lemon Pepper so squeezed fresh lemon (after rolling it to release the juices) on both sides after browning. Then crisped the thick cut bacon. This is actually easier if you use scissors and cut the bacon in 1-2" pc., cooks quicker also...In a separate cast iron pan, I carmelized 3 small onions in butter and spooned some of the bacon greases into it as needed. Fresh Sharp White Cheddar worked for me as well.I chopped Romaine/Buttercrunch lettuces and rough cut a few Craizines (cranberry raisins) w/coarse pepper, alternating the various delectable pieces with lettuce was almost like Wilted lettuce but better!Brava! I am seriously impressed.
Feb 3, 2018
Me and my husband love this . Usually he is so hard to please and I want a divorce but then Ill make this and it shuts him up! mmm good