Fiesta Smothered Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the mushrooms, onion and jalapeno in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain and discard marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Spoon vegetable mixture over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Jul 10, 2014
Family proclaimed a keeper! Very flavorful. My chicken breasts were a bit thick so cook time was a bit longer.
Mar 11, 2014
I have a family of 5 so I doubled this recipe. Normally we don't like breast meat at all to dry when cooked. But this was nice and moist. I will try it with dark meat and write a review when I do. Since I doubled the recipe I marinated longer than the recipe called for.
Jan 29, 2014
I prepared this dish tonight and let me tell you that this is a winner. Both my husband and myself loved every bite. The only thing I did differently was used canned mushrooms instead of fresh. We will be having this again and again. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
Aug 22, 2013
This recipe has made it into our regular rotation. I make it with 8 chicken breasts, and only 2 tsp of jalapenos. I use canned mushrooms because I usually have those on hand. I also saute bell pepper with the mushrooms and onions. I use monterey jack in place of the pepper jack because it melts so smoothly and there are already jalapenos in the recipe. The leftovers (if there are any) are delicious in chicken tacos or quesadillas.
Apr 3, 2012
My husband & I absolutely loved it! This has become one of my new favorites. We like alot of veggies so I added more of each of them & we let the chicken soak about an hour before cooking. TOTALLY DELISH!!
May 10, 2010
I haven't tried this recipe yet but I am going to. I also would not like the jalapeno's but I will substitue green bell pepper and use all cheddar cheese.
May 5, 2010
It was a little too much on the spicy side for my family, but everyone agreed it was a good dish. I personally liked it a lot. I would definitely make it again.
May 5, 2010
My husband didn't like the jalapeno's. I will not leave them out, just use less of them. Loved it.
May 4, 2010
Fiesta smothered chicken is a very good recipe. The only thing I'd change would be the jalapenos, as some of my family is allergic to them. I do like them though, just won't put them in this recipe as I won't make my family sick.
Aug 15, 2009
Use reduced fat cheeses to mnlower,caloriemcount
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.