Microwave Rice Pilaf
In Shattuc, Illinois, Norma Jean Koelmel cooks this speedy side dish to complement most any meal. "It's just the right amount for my husband and me," she notes. "But it's easy to double for a larger family."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- In a 1-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the onion, celery, green pepper and butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 7-10 minutes or until rice is tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 145 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 974mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Microwave Rice Pilaf in Quick Cooking January/February 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.