Vermicelli Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup broken uncooked vermicelli (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add vermicelli; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Add rice, broth, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. If desired, top with chives.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 240 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
May 20, 2017
The rice can be heated with the vermicelli to make the rice more fluffy. I always dry roast my rice. For pilaf I use a dry veggie mix I get online and it adds a lot of flavor. Pilaf is not supposed to have a strong flavor because it is meant to accompany a protein and veggie. I don't add salt because the broth i use has enough.
Aug 27, 2015
This is a good, basic recipe. My family felt it was lacking a little flavor. Maybe saute some onions or garlic to add next time.
Feb 1, 2015
We liked this recipe. The vermicelli added a twist so it wasn't just rice!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.