Vermicelli Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup broken uncooked vermicelli (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add vermicelli; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Add rice, broth, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. If desired, top with chives.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 240 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 20, 2017
The rice can be heated with the vermicelli to make the rice more fluffy. I always dry roast my rice. For pilaf I use a dry veggie mix I get online and it adds a lot of flavor. Pilaf is not supposed to have a strong flavor because it is meant to accompany a protein and veggie. I don't add salt because the broth i use has enough.
Aug 27, 2015
This is a good, basic recipe. My family felt it was lacking a little flavor. Maybe saute some onions or garlic to add next time.
Feb 1, 2015
We liked this recipe. The vermicelli added a twist so it wasn't just rice!