Total TimePrep: 45 min. + soaking Cook: 45 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 43 to 44 dried corn husks
- 3 cups masa harina
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup lard or shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground pork or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tart medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- Hot water
- Cover corn husks with cold water; soak overnight.
- For dough, combine masa harina and water. Let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat lard and salt until mixture resembles beaten egg whites (about 6 minutes). Add masa harina mixture 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly.
- For filling, cook pork and onion, crumbling meat, in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Drain corn husks and pat dry; tear 7-8 husks to make 36 strips for tying tamales. (To prevent husks from drying out, cover with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use.) On wide end of each remaining husk, spread 2-3 tablespoons dough to within 1/2 in. of side edges; top each with 1-2 tablespoons filling. Fold long sides of husk over filling, overlapping slightly. Fold over narrow end of husk; tie with a strip of husk to secure.
- Place a large steamer basket in a 6-qt. stockpot over broth; place tamales upright in steamer. Bring to a boil; steam, covered, adding hot water as needed, until dough peels away from husk, about 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3 tamales: 380 calories, 28g fat (9g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Sep 3, 2010
Do Mexican tamale recipes usually have almonds and apples in them?
Sep 3, 2010
what do you mean .what are you seeing something i aint
Oct 5, 2008
I was able to find all at my local walmart
May 3, 2008
I have actually found both the husks and the masa in my local grocers (big ones) - they are cheaper at a mexican market - sasha