Here's a traditional Mexican main dish prepared with a twist! The fruity salsa cools off the spicy pesto, and in my opinion, definitely makes the dish. Try it on chicken or pork, too. —Steve Meredith, Streamwood, Illinois
Recommended: 30 Mexican Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 to 2 pounds)
- CILANTRO PESTO:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium mango, peeled and halved
- 2/3 pound fresh pineapple, cut into 3 spears
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled pitted and halved
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add the steak; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the cilantro, habanero, garlic, salt and pepper in a small food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- For salsa, grill the mango, pineapple and avocado, covered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place onion in a small bowl. Chop the grilled fruit and avocado; add to bowl. Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat for about 1 minute on each side or until warm.
- Thinly slice beef across the grain; place on tortillas. Top with salsa and pesto. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Flank Steak Tacos in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p213
Reviews forMexican Flank Steak Tacos
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 24, 2015
"great flavor the pesto with the salsa was hot then cool. We do not like real spicy so I did my pesto with a anaheim pepper( med hot pepper) instead of the habanero one.The grilled mango and pineapple were wonderful combo."