Fresh, filling and packed with flavor, this is a great make-ahead idea for a snack or mini meal you can enjoy all weekend! —Keith Dreitlein, Cranston, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place bulgur in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap foil around garlic. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain bulgur well; transfer to a large serving bowl. Stir in the shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, green onions, parsley and cilantro. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl and mash. Whisk in the lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining oil; drizzle over salad. Toss to coat. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 195 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Mediterranian Tabouleh in Healthy Cooking August/September 2011