Rigatoni Chard Toss
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add Swiss chard and onion; cook and stir 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt, pepper flakes, fennel and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until chard is tender.
- Drain rigatoni, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add rigatoni, pasta water and basil to skillet; toss to combine. Serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 159 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jun 14, 2015
Very good - even my girls, ages 4 and 6, enjoyed it and asked for seconds! And I love that it's healthy and a great way to use garden fresh swiss chard.
Jul 21, 2014
Very good. Made 6 main dish servings. Served with sourdough bread and fruit.
Sep 10, 2013
This was a very tasty recipe. Great way to use chard or any greens. Lots of good veggies in here, too. Thanks!
Jul 21, 2013
Does this really make 11 servings??? I have three teenage sons .....
Jun 27, 2013
This is a great way to use extra chard from the garden! My carnivore husband didn't even miss the meat. I used garbanzo beans instead of the cannellini beans because that's what we had on hand.
Aug 24, 2011
This recipe is excellent! I have made it several times. I leave out the fennel seeds (because I don't have any).
Jun 12, 2011
Doubled the recipe and used for main dish. Substituted chick peas for cannelini beans, and it was delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.