Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Place bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes or until bulgur is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain well, pressing out excess water. Cool completely.
- Stir in tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, oil, garlic and seasonings. Add beans; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes. Serve with cheese.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 139 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 30, 2016
Prepared as directed. The response from folks, "It's okay". It was a lot of work for "okay".
May 22, 2016
Delicious! I used Israeli couscous instead, because that's what I had at home. I couldn't stop eating it!
Mar 25, 2014
Absolutely fabulous! Easy to make and really good for you!! This is a regular for me now!!
Oct 23, 2013
I am always skeptical of recipes that are Texas adapted, but this is great. A good hearty salad or a vegetarian lunch. I substituted black eyed peas for black beans and cherry tomatoes, but still great. For a Texas taste, use queso fresco, not feta.
Oct 6, 2013
Interesting combination of flavors
Sep 19, 2013
I prepared this recipe for a food demo highlighting healthy grains. I used quinoa instead. Very nice, the feta cheese gave it nice tang. Beautiful colors
Sep 8, 2013
We enjoyed this recipe last night along with grilled lamb. The recipe is very easy to make...directions are clear...except one step is missing...doesn't say how to prep the tomatoes, but I chopped them like the other veggies. I used feta cheese and parsley instead of cilantro. I would make this recipe again and again.
Aug 21, 2013
Very nice. I took it to a pot luck and everyone enjoyed it. The black beans add a nice colour contrast.
Aug 17, 2013
We just tried this for dinner this evening; healthy and delicious and now one of our favorites! The jalapeno gives it a nice kick!