Mediterranean Shrimp Couscous
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked couscous
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the shrimp, shallot and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until shrimp turn pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir the zucchini, wine, tomatoes and capers until zucchini is tender. Add spinach; cook just until wilted. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Whisk the lemon juice, vinegar and remaining oil; add to the pan. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, the seasonings and reserved shrimp mixture; cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 385 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
Feb 26, 2010
This simple to prepare dish makes a big impression at the table! I made this for my family, but it would make a nice dish to serve to company. I did make a few changes to the original recipe. First, I omitted the salt since the feta, sun dried tomatoes, capers and even the shrimp are already salted. I added 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives and fresh chopped basil right before serving.
Aug 19, 2009
Sounds quiet tasty. Will have to make it sometime.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.