Shrimp with Vegetables
Colorful sweet pepper, zucchini and yellow summer squash team up with tender shrimp in this delightful main dish. "If you clean the shrimp and slice the vegetables the night before, it makes a quick weeknight meal," notes Beth Woodard of Jamestown, North Carolina. "It's my husband's favorite stir-fry."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. In a nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the onion, red pepper, zucchini and summer squash in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, tarragon, lemon peel and crushed pepper flakes. Stir-fry until shrimp turns pink and vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir soy sauce mixture; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 302 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 259mg cholesterol, 862mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Shrimp With Vegetables in Light & Tasty February/March 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.