Maple Butter Twists
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes (16 slices each)
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 to 3 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 70 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 filling ingredients; beat for 2 minutes. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; roll each into a 16x8-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with nuts. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- With a sharp knife, cut each roll in half lengthwise. Open halves so cut side is up; gently twist ropes together. Transfer to 2 greased 9-in. round baking pans. Coil into a circle. Tuck ends under; pinch to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the confectioners' sugar, maple flavoring and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over warm cakes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 119 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 16, 2018
I used my stand mixer for the dough and it worked great! I didn’t have maple flavoring so I used only maple syrup and it worked well. These are amazing and I’ll definitely be making them again!!
Mar 14, 2018
I made the dough in my bread machine..and left out the nuts. OMG! Sooo good!
Jan 13, 2018
These were simple to make and very good. The recipe directions are a little messed up...but that’s ok! I have a joint disorder and can no longer knead my doughs-no problem as I tossed this all in my bread maker as the mfg. directed and it came out perfect! (Just on the dough setting of course and finished as directed once the rise cycle was complete). I used pecans instead of walnuts. I prefer these without the icing-but I prefer everything without icing. Give them a try!
Nov 20, 2016
These are amazing! I took one to my ladies meeting at church and it was a big hit. I forgot to put the nuts in, and it was still yummy. I plan to make more to have around for breakfast Thanksgiving weekend when my family is home. I'll try it with the nuts this time.
Aug 27, 2012
Made this yesterday while I was stuck in my home during Tropical Storm Isaac. It was delish. I thought it couldn't get better until I made a similar maple twist without icing, also from Taste of Home, and accidentally let the final rise go for an extra half hour. It got incredibly big, light and fluffy. Next time I will let this bread rise the extra half hour and I am sure it will be just as good.
Jul 31, 2011
Delicious recipe and freezes wonderfully (after baking and w/o icing). Won Best of Show with a twist I froze and reheated in oven.
Apr 16, 2010
I received this recipe years ago, and I make it whenever I can. It is delicious every time. We eat both twists within a couple of hours.
Jan 14, 2009
This is a fantastic recipe! I have been making it for years and always get rave reviews. Thank you June!!!
Nov 10, 2008
I made these for Christmas morning last year. They were a huge hit! You should try this recipe!
Apr 23, 2008
This recipe is confusing!!