Sweet Almond Twists
These delicate almond pastries make lovely light-as-air accompaniments for coffee, tea or cocoa. Your guests will never guess the recipe calls for packaged frozen dough. When I give them as a fresh-baked gift, I tuck in a note saying that they're best served warmed—and right away! —Gloria Devendittis, Waterford, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup almond cake and pastry filling
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface; roll each sheet into a 15x10-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over rectangles. Spread pastry filling over one rectangle to within 1/4 in. of edges; sprinkle with almonds. Top with remaining pastry, egg wash side down, pressing lightly.
- Brush top with egg wash. Cut in half lengthwise; cut each rectangle crosswise into 16 strips. Twist each strip 2-3 times. Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Originally published as Almond Twists in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.