Sweet Almond Bread
The crunchy toasted almonds and sweet cinnamony topping on these round loaves make them look and taste terrific. "My niece shared this recipe with me a few years ago, and I adapted it to use the dough setting on my bread machine," notes Sally Ball of Gladwin, Michigan. "It's delicious as a breakfast bread or served warm with ice cream."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In bread machine pan, place dough ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a floured surface and punch down. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 6-in. circle and place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, for topping, combine butter, sugar, milk, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Make a 1/4-in. depression in the center of each loaf with the tip of a wooden spoon. Brush with butter mixture and sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 137 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.