Sweet Almond Bread
The crunchy toasted almonds and sweet cinnamony topping on these round loaves make them look and taste terrific. "My niece shared this recipe with me a few years ago, and I adapted it to use the dough setting on my bread machine," notes Sally Ball of Gladwin, Michigan. "It's delicious as a breakfast bread or served warm with ice cream."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In bread machine pan, place dough ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a floured surface and punch down. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 6-in. circle and place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, for topping, combine butter, sugar, milk, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Make a 1/4-in. depression in the center of each loaf with the tip of a wooden spoon. Brush with butter mixture and sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 137 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Almond Bread in Quick Cooking July/August 1998