Sweet Almond Twists
These delicate almond pastries make lovely light-as-air accompaniments for coffee, tea or cocoa. Your guests will never guess the recipe calls for packaged frozen dough. When I give them as a fresh-baked gift, I tuck in a note saying that they're best served warmed—and right away! —Gloria Devendittis, Waterford, Connecticut
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup almond cake and pastry filling
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface; roll each sheet into a 15x10-in. rectangle.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over rectangles. Spread pastry filling over one rectangle to within 1/4 in. of edges; sprinkle with almonds. Top with remaining pastry, egg wash side down, pressing lightly.
- 3. Brush top with egg wash. Cut in half lengthwise; cut each rectangle crosswise into 16 strips. Twist each strip 2-3 times. Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Serve warm.
1 twist: 101 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 15, 2019Apparently I can't edit my review- on further reflection (by which I mean eating), I'd say skip the outer egg wash all together. Also, the almond flavor is delicate. If you want stronger, double the paste, put it on both sheets. I'm going to do that next time- I think that will help the splitting too.
Jul 12, 2018Delicious
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC