Evelyn’s Sour Cream Twists
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs, sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the yeast mixture; mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine sugar and remaining vanilla; lightly sprinkle 1/2 cup over a pastry cloth or countertop surface. On the sugared surface, roll half the dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle; refrigerate remaining dough. Sprinkle rolled dough with about 1 tablespoon of the sugar mixture. Fold rectangle into thirds.
- Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring and folding two more times. Roll into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Cut into 4x1-in. strips; twist each strip two or three times. Place on chilled ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining sugar mixture and dough.
- Bake at 375° until lightly browned, 12-14 minutes. Immediately remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 twist: 97 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Apr 19, 2013
I submitted this recipe a long time ago, and was surprised when I found it on the internet. My mother in law used to make it all the time. It's a family classic, and one I still make in her memory. It looks difficult, but it's not. Leftovers, IF you have any, freeze nicely.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.