Peanut Butter Twists
Years ago, I received a bread machine for Christmas- along with a collection of recipes. These treats that have a peanut butter filling and icing soon became a favorite. People always ask for the recipe.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 5 to 7 tablespoons warm water
- In a bread machine, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Roll dough into a 24x8-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold rectangle in half lengthwise; cut widthwise into 24 pieces. Pinch seams to seal. Twist each piece three times.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; pinch ends. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter and enough water to reach desired consistency; drizzle over twists.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 199 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Twists in Quick Cooking September/October 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.