Mangoes are my son's favorite fruit, so I was ecstatic to incorporate them into a healthy dessert. You can also use ripe bananas instead of mango, almond extract instead of vanilla, or regular milk in place of soy. —Melissa McCabe, Victor, New York
Featured In: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 medium ripe mango
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped peeled mango, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil; stir in rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 35-40 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, peel, seed and slice mango. Mash mango with a potato masher or fork.
- Stir milk, sugar, cinnamon and mashed mango into rice. Cook, uncovered, on low 10-15 minutes longer or until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm or cold with chopped mango if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mango Rice Pudding in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p232