Mango Barley Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until barley is tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Finely grate enough zest from limes to measure 1 teaspoon. Cut limes crosswise in half; squeeze juice from limes. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, lime zest, oil, mustard, honey, salt, cumin and pepper until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, peppers, onion, mango and cilantro. Add dressing; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 185 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 13, 2018
Delicious summer salad!
Jul 4, 2018
I love barley, and the dressing pulled it all the ingredients together!
Jun 28, 2018
Delicious summer recipe! Was skeptical at first, but ended up being a keeper! First day was ok, but second day after all of the flavors mixed, it was so refreshing and delicious.