Mango Barley Salad
I made this fresh, colorful mango salad on the fly and it was a big hit! The bright flavor is perfect for a spring or summer picnic, served right away or chilled. —Dan Wellberg, Elk River, Minnesota
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until barley is tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Finely grate enough zest from limes to measure 1 teaspoon. Cut limes crosswise in half; squeeze juice from limes. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, lime zest, oil, mustard, honey, salt, cumin and pepper until blended.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine barley, peppers, onion, mango and cilantro. Add dressing; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
3/4 cup: 185 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Dec 13, 2018Delicious summer salad!
Jul 4, 2018I love barley, and the dressing pulled it all the ingredients together!
Jun 28, 2018Delicious summer recipe! Was skeptical at first, but ended up being a keeper! First day was ok, but second day after all of the flavors mixed, it was so refreshing and delicious.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC