Southwestern Barley Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups cooked medium pearl barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the water, lemon juice, onion, oil and garlic; shake well. Pour over barley mixture and toss to coat. Serve on lettuce-lined plates. Garnish with avocado and tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 233 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 490mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
May 6, 2011
This was such a GREAT salad!! So easy to make. This one is a keeper. I used grape tomatoes, not the chopped seeded tomatoes, also used light olive oil instead of the Canola oil. I put the corn & peas in when they were frozen. Next time I think I will try Lime juice, just to see how it may taste. I saved some of the dressing to dip the avocado in, so that they wouldn't brown, then poured what was left over all. I think this could almost be a meal in itself.