Southwest Barley & Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes12 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add kielbasa; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add carrots and onion to same pot; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in kielbasa and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 35-45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 366 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 17g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 4, 2018
Since we've been having such cold weather, I thought I'd try this soup. The southwest flavor of this hearty soup was warm and comforting. I used smoked sausage from the farmer's market and I did not have crushed tomatoes so I used a 15.5 ounce jar of mild salsa instead. Next time I make it I want to try it with regular ground meat and maybe cut back on the cumin a bit. Also, it is one of those soups that tastes better "the day after" ... and it freezes well. All in all ...... this is a delicious and warming soup .... made thick and hearty with the barley. 5 stars for sure.
Oct 31, 2015
I used cooked ground turkey in stead of the sausage.