Makeover Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Fill a 6-qt. stockpot 3/4 full with water; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 3 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Return water to a boil; cook rigatoni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in mozzarella cheese until melted.
- Drain rigatoni; return to pan. Stir in asparagus, bacon, parsley, salt, pepper and cream sauce. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 345 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 24, 2018
YUM, this was so good. I'd say it serves 6 rather than 8. I was surprised by the choice of mozzarella for the cheese, but it worked out great. I like the mix of textures (crispy bacon, softer but with a bite asparagus, more chewy pasta). It does NOT need the parmesan on top, if you want to save a few calories...
Mar 13, 2016
Loved it. Will use a little less pasta next time.
Mar 18, 2015
Whole family loved it after it was tweaked a little. It isn't very saucy when finished so I added more half and half the second time I made it. I think when I make this again, I will either double the sauce or increase it by one half. It can also be made with ham instead of the bacon.
Jul 27, 2014
One of our family favorites. We use gluten free noodles.
Mar 7, 2013
doesn't reheat well though, but it is delicious
Jul 10, 2012
Jun 2, 2011
Really good!! I used more cheese and garlic, really great, I make this as a side or lunch
Apr 28, 2011
Really good. I didn't have asparagus on hand, so I used broccoli. My hubby thought it was a bit salty because of the bacon, so I think that the salt ingredient could be omitted.
Oct 16, 2010
Clean plates all around! This was super fast, easy and cheap. I didn't have bacon on hand, so I subbed canadian bacon and it was great, plus lower in fat. I will definitely make this again. Next time I may add walnuts or sun dried tomatoes.
Jul 13, 2010
I added Broccoli and Sundried tomatoes to this and it did not last long. Will absolutely make this again and again.