Asparagus, Bacon & Shallot Tart
My tart is adapted from my mom's quiche recipe. She lives thousands of miles away from me in the UK, so whenever I make it, happy memories of home come flooding back. —Paula Nolan, Granite Bay, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + standing
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 6 thick-sliced center-cut bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 Kerrygold cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pie pastry to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to an 11-in. tart pan and press into edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Prick pastry with a fork 5 or 6 times; line with a double thickness of foil. Fill with dried beans (or pie weights). Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove foil and beans (or weights); bake until light golden brown, 5 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- Trim tough ends from asparagus. Reserve 8 spears; cut remaining asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6-8 minutes; remove and drain. Add olive oil to skillet, then red onion, shallot and chopped asparagus; cook and stir until softened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Return bacon to pan; stir in tomatoes, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Spoon into pastry shell.
- Whisk eggs and cream; stir in cheddar cheese until blended. Pour over top. Arrange reserved asparagus spears in a spoke pattern with tips facing outward. Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Pastry for single-crust pie: Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 367 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 441mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 9, 2019
Sooo good, will definitely be making again
Jan 1, 2018
Nice, rich, quiche-like tart. One short cut that doesn't change the flavor is to use ready-cooked bacon instead of cooking bacon strips. Great for lunches and brunch buffets.