Bow Ties with Sausage & Asparagus
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat bow tie pasta (about 8 ounces)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions, adding asparagus during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water; return pasta and asparagus to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking sausage into large crumbles. Add to stockpot. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and reserved pasta water as desired. Serve with additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 247 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 441mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jul 6, 2019
So quick and easy. Inexpensive when asparagus is .99 a lb. Good flavor and can be personalized as well. Ground sausage works as well as links. Great summer dish with sliced tomatoes.
Nov 20, 2018
Love this recipe!! It’s a wonderful healthy one dish meal. For added flavor and color, I ADDED about 4 large cut up MARINATED SUNDRIED TOMATOES at the very end and tossed in about 2 tbsp of the marinade oil from the jar and stirred thoroughly before adding the parmasean cheese. My family LOVED it (and my son is one finicky eater).
Jun 15, 2018
I've got to admit that when I looked at the recipe to make dinner tonight, I expected it to lack flavor. It had enough flavor not to be bland and was surprisingly (to me) good. The guys in the house liked having sausage with the pasta for a change. A couple of people dished up seconds. I should note that I dropped the asparagus in when the pasta had 4-1/2 minutes left on the cooking time knowing that my kids would prefer softer vs. crisp tender.
May 10, 2016
Delicious recipe! I cut it in half for the two of us, and used cooked chicken sausage links (which I sliced) and mozzarella cheese instead of Parmesan. My husband is thrilled that we have leftovers.