Mac ‘n’ Cheese for a Bunch
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes36 servings (1 cup each)
- 3 packages (two 16 ounces, one 7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1-1/4 cups butter, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 pounds sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large stock pot, melt 1 cup butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce.
- Transfer to three greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 395 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 18, 2017
Pretty basic mac n cheese, but a good, easy way to feed a crowd.
Sep 7, 2014
I followed the directions exactly and also thought it lacked a cheesy flavor. I ended up adding more salt, pepper, a bit of yellow mustard and worcesteshire sauce to try to bring out some flavors. It's to big of a batch to not use after making it. I'll make again (since I use this recipe for the football team dinners due to the large quantity it makes) but next time I'll add finely chopped onion to the butter melting process. I'm going to research a cheese with stronger flavor to work in (as suggested by another reviewer). Tip: Use the largest stock pan you have; also, don't overcook pasta as it tends to get mushy (since it absorbs the cheese liquid, and bakes). Next time I'll boil noodles just to chewy stage.
Apr 20, 2014
I thought this was quite one-note (had very little depth of flavor). Definitely needs both salt and pepper. I'm thinking using 2 or even 3 kinds of cheese would also help - not sure which ones, though. An average-tasting mac'n'cheese (hence the three stars) I probably won't make again.
Feb 9, 2014
This is so delicious! The only thing I change is the bread crumbs. I use crushed Ritz crackers instead.
Nov 20, 2009
I am making this again for my husband's family. It was a huge success the first time I made it. I have since passed on the recipe. I give this seven stars.
Jun 9, 2009
how did you cut it down
Apr 3, 2009
This mac-n-cheese is absolutely the best! So delicious! My husband a two girls love it just as much as I do. I cut the recipe down to 1/3 for a large dinner for the family with leftovers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.